Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
Quantity:
Subtotal
Taxes
Shipping
Total
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)

Great War Battle Honours. (16 battalions): Le Cateau, Retreat from Mons, Marne 1914, Aisne 1914, Armentières 1914, Ypres 1915 '17, Gravenstafel, St Julien, Frezenberg, Bellewaarde, Festubert 1915, Loos, Somme 1916 '18, Albert 1916 '18, Bazentin, Delville Wood, Pozières, Guillemont, Ginchy, Flers-Courcelette, Morval, Le Transloy, Ancre Heights, Ancre 1916, Arras 1917 '18, Scarpe 1917 '18, Arleux, Messines 1917, Pilckem, Menin Road, Polygon Wood, Broodseinde, Poelcappelle, Passchendaele, Cambrai 1917 '18, St. Quentin, Lys, Estaires, Hazebrouck, Béthune, Bapaume 1918, Drocourt-Quéant, Hindenburg Line, Canal du Nord, Selle, Valenciennes, Sambre, France and Flanders 1914-18, Struma, Doiran 1917 '18, Macedonia 1915-18, Suvla, Sari Bair, Gallipoli 1915, Egypt 1916, Tigris 1916, Kut al Amara 1917, Baghdad, Mesopotamia 1916-18. 

The following members of the regiment were awarded

the Victoria Cross:

Private Albert Halton, Private Harry Christian, Lance-Sergeant Tom Fletcher Mayson, Second Lieutenant Joseph Henry Collin, Lance-Corporal (later Corporal) James Hewitson, Lance-Corporal Jack White, Private James Miller, Corporal Thomas Neely,

Great War: The regiment was raised on 13 July 1680, as the 2nd Tangier, or Earl of Plymouth's Regiment of Foot. It saw service for nearly three centuries. In 1751, after various name changes, the regiment was titled the 4th (King's Own) Regiment of Foot. The regiment retained this title until the Childers Reforms of 1881, when it became The King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment). In 1921, it was re-designated The King's Own Royal Regiment (Lancaster). The Great WarAt the outbreak of the war in August 1914 the King's Own was made up of two Regular and two Territorial Battalions as well as a Special Reserve Battalion. By the end of the war it had expanded to 17 battalions, ten of which had seen active service. During the war over 44,000 men served with the Regiment, of whom nearly 7,000 died. Many more were injured and some died of their wounds after the war.The 1st Battalion was mobilised on 4th August 1914 in Dover, where it was stationed. On the 23rd August the Battalion arrived in France on board the SS Saturnia and spent the rest of war on the Western Front. The 2nd Battalion was in India when war broke out. It was recalled to England and from January to November 1915 served on the Western Front. It was then moved to Salonika in Greece.Both the 4th Battalion and 5th Battalion were mobilised in August and a large proportion of the officers and men volunteered for overseas service. They were used on home defence before leaving for the Western Front - the 5th Battalion in February 1915 and the 4th Battalion in May 1915. It was not until 1916 that the 55th (West Lancashire) Division was re-formed in France and these two battalions once again served side by side. The Territorials were able to raise second and third line battalions in 1914 and 1915. On doing so the two original battalions were re-designated the 1/4th and 1/5th Battalions (TF - Territorial Force). Not all of the new second and third line units went overseas. Only the 2nd/5th Battalion - as part of the 170th Brigade of the 57th Division (TF) - went to the Western Front, on 5th February 1917. The 3rd (Special Reserve) Battalion was mobilised in August 1914. During the war it processed thousands of trained men for Regular and Service Battalions overseas, including men returning from convalescence. The 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Battalions were raised from volunteers in 1914. These Battalions served on the Western Front, Eastern Europe and Iraq. The 11th Battalion was the last to be raised in June 1915. This was a 'Bantam Battalion' so-called because it accepted men below the official height requirement. It took many miners from the central Lancashire coal field. They served in France and Flanders from June 1916 to 1918.